Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

The nine-year-old



My nine-year-old is a perfectly normal nine-year-old, which is to say that I have no idea what to do with him, and I love him to pieces, but he has turned into the most sarcastic little person ever invented. 

(I know, MY child? Sarcastic? I'm shocked too. He must get it from his father.) 

The kids and I went to my parent's "cabin" this past week. We were getting ready to go to the lake when my sisters pulled up. My kids were so excited to see their cousins. As they ran outside, I called after them, "Help your aunts bring stuff in from the car." 

And they were all very helpful. Especially my oldest, who is old enough to actually help, and not just get in the way. After carrying in bags and suitcases and helping with the cooler, and putting it all away where instructed he asked his aunt, "Is there anything I else I can help you with?" After being told no, he noticed that all the younger kids were being rowdy and took them all outside to play ball while their moms unpacked. 
Working on selfies

After a few minutes I loaded all my kids into the car and headed out to the lake where the cousins would meet us after they ate lunch. As soon as I stopped the car, they all ran for the water. "Hey!" I called after them, "Help me unload the car."

Child #1 stomped his feet and came slowly back. "Why do I have to?" in his best whiny voice.

Me: "What's wrong? You were so helpful to your aunts! Do you know what you said? You said, 'Is there anything else I can help you with?' I'm your mother! You've never said that to me in your life!"

Child 1: "Boy. I bet that's frustrating."



1 comment:

Olya said...

I can hear that phrase in my head in Maya's voice. No wonder she misses him.