Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Raising them right

My extremely shy three-year-old had a bad ear infection and we couldn't get in to her regular pediatrician. I was bracing myself for an awful trip, but the on-call doctor was fantastic.

Matching princess aprons
He stayed out of her space and talked to her, and even drew her a flower on a tongue depressor. He managed to check her ears with no fuss at all and that was that.

Two days later she was still carrying around the flower. She was sitting on the floor, staring at her tongue depressor when she looked up at me in sudden realization, "Mom! Boys can be doctors TOO!"

"You're right! Anyone can be a doctor." And it warmed the cockles of my cold feminist heart.

1 comment:

Olya said...

Ah, Dr. Dimick? He was our typical on-call choice, and we saw him more often than our 'official' doctor (since we mostly went in for last-minute same-day appointments). Younger kids loved his flowers on tongue depressors.